The Ottawa Medical Control Board Authority is a state designated medical control authority representing North Ottawa Community Hospital, Zeeland Community Hospital and Holland Community Hospital. Other members of the Medical Control Board include Life EMS, NOCH EMS, Pro-Med and AMR EMS. In addition, the fire departments and police departments have a representative along with the health department and emergency services and central dispatch.
The major task of this board is to oversee the pre-hospital emergency services in the county including fire and police first respondents and basic EMT’s. In addition, the Board is also responsible for the work of the e-units and the ambulance services.
The Board also has the responsibilities to do the following:
- Establish protocols, policies and procedures for pre-hospital emergency treatments.
- Establish medications to be used and doses to be given.
- Investigate any violations of protocols and handle any community complaints regarding medical services.
- Develop new protocols, policies and procedures as they become necessary.
- Develop new skills first responders and paramedics may need.
The Board elects two physicians to oversee the Boards role in the medical field. These two positions are “Project Medical Director” and Associate Project Medical Director”. The Board also employs a coordinator to overview the day-to-day operations of the work of the Board.